2017-18 School Year
Welcome to Annunciation Math Club! Math Club is open to middle school students who are interested in expanding their math experiences beyond the classroom. You will spend time solving problems and participating in small competitions. These activities are designed for students with advanced math skills.
This year, our Club will be utilizing MATHCOUNTS materials. MATHCOUNTS is a program that challenges students' critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, develops their self-confidence and rewards them for their achievements. We will be working with materials that will prepare students for participating in a MATHCOUNTS Chapter Competition.
This year, sixth, seventh, and eighth graders will be meeting together for Math Club. This will foster teamwork and allow you to share strategies. It will also expose all middle-schoolers to MATHCOUNTS materials. Additional, we will use Math Masters materials for sixth grade participants to prepare them for the Math Masters competition.
Math Club will meet on Mondays beginning September 25. Students will meet from 2:45 – 3:45 in Room 113 W. Mrs. Steege and Ms. Wiehoff will lead the Math Club. Math Club will meet on the following
Mondays: For all club members
- September 25
- October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- November 6, 13, 20, 27
- December 4, 11 (not the 18th)
- January 8, (not the 15th), 22, 29
For 6th graders only:
- February 5, 12, (not the 19th), 26
MATHCOUNTS (7th and 8th graders)
Consisting of fun and creative problems that promote critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, the MATHCOUNTS competitions have written and oral rounds, as well as individual and team components. Though challenging and non-routine, the competition problems focus on the 6th through 8th grade standards of the National Council of Teachers in Mathematics.
The competition consists of up to 4 different rounds:
- The Sprint Round (40 minutes) consists of 30 problems. This round tests accuracy, with time being such that only the most capable students will complete all of the problems. Calculators are not permitted.
- The Target Round (approximately 30 minutes) consists of eight problems presented to competitors in four pairs (6 minutes per pair). This round features multi‑step problems that engage Mathletes in mathematical reasoning and problem-solving processes. Problems assume the use of calculators.
- The Team Round (20 minutes) consists of 10 problems that team members work together to solve. Team member interaction is permitted and encouraged. Problems assume the use of calculators.
- The Countdown Round is a fast-paced, oral competition for top-scoring individuals (based on scores in the Sprint and Target Rounds). In this round, pairs of Mathletes compete against each other and the clock to solve problems. Calculators are not permitted.
After several months of coaching, we will select students to compete individually or as part of a team in the City of Lakes MATHCOUNTS Chapter Competition on Friday, February 2, 2018 at the University of Minnesota.
To determine competitors for the Chapter competition, we will conduct the School Competition in late December/early January with all interested students. If selected to compete, during the month of January, you may be expected to participate in additional meetings and complete additional practice problems on your own time to prepare for the competition.
Math Masters (6th graders)
Depending on the number of sixth graders who participate in Math Club, we will register team(s) to participate this spring on a date/location TBD.
NOTE: In order to be eligible to compete in the MATHCOUNTS Chapter Competition or the Math Masters Competition, you must attend a minimum of nine out of the 12 meetings scheduled in September through December.
Below is a tentative schedule of club events. In addition, you may be asked to complete problems on your own time to be discussed and reviewed during scheduled meetings.
|September||Warm-Ups 1||Workout 1|
|October||Warm-Ups 2-5||Workouts 2-3|
|November||Warm-Ups 6-9||Workouts 4-5|
|December||Warm-Ups 10-13||Workouts 6-7|
|January||Warm-Ups 14-15||Workout 8||MATHCOUNTS
Selection of competitors for Chapter Competition
|February||MATHCOUNTS Chapter Competition
City of Lakes Minneapolis:
Friday, Feb. 2,
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
|March||Math Masters Competition
We are so glad that you decided to join Math Club. We hope that it is a challenging and rewarding experience for you! Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Julie Steege and Rachel Wiehoff
Online registration can be found at the following link: 2017-2018 On-line Registration Form.