- School Events
- AYM (Youth Group)
- Church News
- International Baccalaureate
- Principal Cassidy's News & Notes
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
May 26th, 2015
What is the Annunciation Battle of the Books?
The ‘Battle’ is a collaborative reading competition for students entering 3rd- 8th grade. It is designed to enhance student commitment, team building, reading comprehension, and study skills in a fun, informative manner. Teams of up to three students (two per team for teams entering 3rd grade) read from a pre-selected list of books. Our Competition includes written and oral questions about the books and matching titles with authors.
Books included on the reading lists have been carefully read by master educators, with over 30 years' experience, specializing in reading education. The books are selected for their high interest level, challenging vocabulary, multiple reading levels and appropriate content. The books are purposefully selected to expose students to a variety of genres, quality authors, diverse cultures and historical eras.
Last year, 107 of our 3-8th grade students participated. We are proud to offer this great opportunity!
- Reading enrichment for students entering 3rd - 8th grades.
- Students form teams consisting of 2- 3 members. Teammates divide the assigned titles and read the books from their grade level list. (Max of 2 per 3rd grade team and 3 per team for students entering 4-8th grade)
- Students read the books over the summer and in the early fall. The list includes a variety of genres and varying degrees of difficulty.
- In October, teams gather for friendly competition to demonstrate their abilities and test their knowledge of the books they have read. The contest is during the school day.
- Most competition questions begin with the words, "In which book" Correct answers include the title.
- Prizes are awarded for 1st place in the Battle at each competition level.
- Full participation in BotB fulfills the fall Middle School reading contract for our rising 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.
To register visit: https://goo.gl/kB03Xf
Registration is due Monday, June 1st.
Starting June 1st: book lists, registered teams and FAQ can be found at: http://annunciationenrichment.wikispaces.com/Battle+of+the+Books
Warning: This event may include crazy, over the top, ice cream sundaes!
Anne LaLonde Laux
Enrichment Coordinator / Teacher
Annunciation Catholic School